Become a Market Insider     

French Beans

Dec 30, 2016

 

Availability and Origin
French Beans are available year-round, but they really peak in the summertime. The U.S. produces 60% of these beans; Illinois, New York and Oregon being the highest contributing states. The remaining 40% are produced worldwide, coming mainly from France, Mexico and Iraq. 

Appearance and Flavor
It isn't easy being green, so French Beans can also be yellow and purple. They have a mild, sweet flavor, yet have a bit of a starchy texture.

Storage
To get up to 10 days out of your beans, refrigerate them in a tightly-sealed plastic bag.

Ways to Enjoy
Raw, steamed, or sautéed - these beans are a triple threat. Check out this recipe for a great Thanksgiving side dish idea for your celebration. 

History
The beans are native to Central and South America, but were brought to France in the 16th century. By the 19th century, France had dubbed them as their household bean and gave them the French name Haricot Verts.

Leave a comment

Submitting your question!
Our team of fresh produce experts have produce buying down to a science, which is why we call them Buy-ologists. They are at the source, acting as your eyes and ears in the field at every major agricultural growing region, comparing price and quality to get you the best deal.
Whether you need reliable market information or a mixed load, we are here to help!
Fill out the form below and an Amerifresh Buy-ologist will get back to you within 24 hours.
select
Select a valid category
Enter a valid email
Enter a valid phone number